Blog article
See all stories »

146 Million Europeans To Benefit From Open Banking Services

A recent Moneywise survey in the UK found that 73% of bank account holders would not use Open Banking services.

However, this also means 27% of the population would. On the assumption that the survey figures hold true across Europe, I decided to crunch the maths.

According to latest European banking data, there are 540 Million European current account holders. This would equate to almost 146 Million people willing to use Open Banking services based on the survey results.

In 2016 Yodlee, one of the world’s biggest screen scrapers, announced they had acquired 21 million global customers prepared to give away their bank credentials to Yodlee. Each of those customers performed approximately 2 transactions a day resulting in fifteen billion transactions annually.

On the assumption that a typical Open Banking customer would perform the same 2 daily transactions, this equates to over 107 billion transactions a year across Europe.

Like many passionate about Open Banking, I would be pretty pleased if these numbers work out to be true.

Below are links to the articles I used as part of my research.

http://www.ebf.eu/facts\_and\_figures/structure-and-economic-contribution-of-the-banking-sector/

https://www.yodlee.com/blog/envestnet-yodlee-helps-financial-institutions-leverage-data-intelligence-increase-competitive-advantage/

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2018-01-30/i-wouldnt-use-open-banking-say-three-four-moneywise-users

10561

Comments: (2)

Melvin Haskins
Melvin Haskins - Haston International Limited - 02 February, 2018, 08:353 likes 3 likes

Because 73% of the population will not use Open Banking does not mean that the remaining 27% will. It depends on how the question was asked.

Ketharaman Swaminathan
Ketharaman Swaminathan - GTM360 Marketing Solutions - Pune 02 February, 2018, 18:14Be the first to give this comment the thumbs up 0 likes

LOL I hope the remaining 27% didn't say "What's Open Banking":)

Kenneth Marritt

Kenneth Marritt

Co-Founder

Mere Digital

Member since

21 Aug 2017

Location

Daresbury, United Kingdom

Blog posts

16

Comments

9

More from Kenneth

This post is from a series of posts in the group:

Open Banking

Open Banking regulation, innovation and technology and it's potential to revolutionise the Financial Services Industry.


See all