SharePoint 2016 by Microsoft, is a comprehensive tool used for document management and collaboration. The tool is a catalyst in modernizing on premise infrastructure and facilitating improvement in performance and reliability. This further builds a strong
foundation for enterprise innovation. It is known for its user-centric file storage and document collaboration. SharePoint 2016 gives people a better user-experience with an improved mobile access to content, people, and applications. Users can benefit from
the innovations in Office 365, available with either on premise deployment or a hybrid implementation.
Here are few of the features that you will get with SharePoint 2016:
- OneDrive: This feature has been a part of SharePoint since SP1. SharePoint 2016 brings a new element in it. Now, users will be able to redirect their My Sites to their OneDrive for Business host subscribed by Office 365. This simplified,
on clicking OneDrive, the users will be redirected to their Office 365 My Site and not to their On-premise version.
- The Cloud Search: This is one feature in SharePoint that everyone has been looking for. Giving a unified search experience, a simple Office 365 search will take the users’ On-Premise SharePoint search index and provide results for both.
However, users will have to use Office 365 to enjoy this element. If the users conduct the search on their On-premise site, it will only fetch local results.
- The App Launcher and UI: SharePoint 2016 has rolled out the App Launcher and made changes in the UI to meet the UX that Office 365 gives. In this way, no matter if the users are with Office 365 or SharePoint 2016, they have a consistent
- MinRoles: With the update, the users will be able to install the precise role that they need on specific SharePoint 2016 servers. In this way, the users will only install what is needed but ensure that all the servers of the roles are compatible
as well. If need be, the users will able be able to convert servers to run new roles.
- An Increase in Uploading File Size: Users will now be able to store much more data than the earlier limit of 2GB for files. The actual limit for the storage is not cited, it is highly recommended to keep the limit as 10GB. If this is not
adhered to, the users might get disconnected or be unable to upload large files.
- Create Site in a Jiffy: Users will now be able to create Site Collections quickly by using a set template. The same task would at times take over 40 seconds in the SharePoint 2013. In order to set up, this feature will need a level of configuration
In addition to this, the users will also benefit from a lot of features that come with Office 365 on their On-Premises SharePoint 2016 version. New sites have been introduced in the tool in order to give more control to the users.