19 August 2017
visit www.avoka.com

Judge throws out Visa/MasterCard motions in merchant suit

02 April 2003  |  5225 views  |  0 NewYork2

A New York district court Judge has overturned an attempt by Visa and MasterCard to throw out a class action lawsuit brought by US retailers seeking millions of dollars in damages over debit charges.

Judge John Gleeson granted five of the merchants' eight summary judgment motions and denied all of Visa and MasterCard's motions, including MasterCard's request for separate trial. A trial is set for 28 April, 2003.

"Around 70 percent of this trial was decided in the merchants' favour in this summary judgment," says Lloyd Constantine, lead counsel for the merchants, and a principal in the New York firm of Constantine & Partners. "That leaves 30 percent of the case and the relief to be decided. This is the final lap toward consumers and merchants being able to purchase debit card services in a free and competitive market."

The merchants, led by Wal-Mart, allege that Visa and MasterCard have used their muscle to close off competition and levy excessive fees for debit card payments which have to be passed on to consumers.

Daniel Tarman, vice president, Visa USA, says the company is now focused on going to trial "and defending consumers' right to choose how to pay at the checkout counter".

"As the court said in its ruling, the plaintiffs have the burden of proving harm to the debit marketplace," he adds. "We are confident that we will prevail at trial by clearly showing that competition in the debit marketplace is thriving and robust, benefiting merchants and guaranteeing choice to consumers."

He dismisses the case as an attempt by Wal-Mart "to use litigation as a path to increase its power and profits".

Comments: (0)

Comment on this story (membership required)

Finextra news in your inbox

For Finextra's free daily newsletter, breaking news flashes and weekly jobs board: sign up now

Related stories

Visa USA approaches trillion dollar volumes in 2002

Visa USA approaches trillion dollar volumes in 2002

26 March 2003  |  3371 views  |  0 comments
MasterCard records double digit growth in debit

MasterCard records double digit growth in debit

20 March 2003  |  4474 views  |  0 comments
MasterCard releases $1.99 multi-application smart card

MasterCard releases $1.99 multi-application smart card

17 March 2003  |  4843 views  |  0 comments
MasterCard moves into text messaging

MasterCard moves into text messaging

12 March 2003  |  6057 views  |  0 comments
Visa to hide card numbers in bid to cut identity theft

Visa to hide card numbers in bid to cut identity theft

07 March 2003  |  5995 views  |  0 comments
Visa, Infineon and Sony to develop contactless payment cards

Visa, Infineon and Sony to develop contactless payment cards

05 March 2003  |  5661 views  |  0 comments
MasterCard selects Baltimore's PKI system for SecureCode programme

MasterCard selects Baltimore's PKI system for SecureCode programme

25 February 2003  |  3904 views  |  0 comments
Hackers access 5.5 million MasterCard and Visa accounts - Reuters

Hackers access 5.5 million MasterCard and Visa accounts - Reuters

18 February 2003  |  6142 views  |  0 comments
Upaid and Visa team up for pilot SMS top-up service

Upaid and Visa team up for pilot SMS top-up service

18 February 2003  |  5959 views  |  0 comments
Office of Fair Trading says MasterCard fees are anti-competitive

Office of Fair Trading says MasterCard fees are anti-competitive

11 February 2003  |  7496 views  |  0 comments

Related company news

 

Related blogs

Create a blog about this story (membership required)
visit www.worldpaymentsreport.comdownload the paper nowvisit www.niceactimize.com

Top topics

Most viewed Most shared
Mobile contactless spending accelerating in UKMobile contactless spending accelerating i...
8070 views comments | 22 tweets | 23 linkedin
Norwegian banks and startups form fintech clusterNorwegian banks and startups form fintech...
7423 views comments | 19 tweets | 23 linkedin
RBS to bring Silicon Valley to EdinburghRBS to bring Silicon Valley to Edinburgh
6282 views comments | 10 tweets | 7 linkedin
hands typing furiouslyWhy Blockchain Might Not Be The Future For...
6136 views 1 | 5 tweets | 3 linkedin
Apple sidelined as Beijing transit system launches payments appApple sidelined as Beijing transit system...
5982 views comments | 11 tweets | 9 linkedin

Featured job

Competitive
New York, NY - USA (some flexibility on location)

Find your next job