21 August 2017
visit www.avoka.com

SunGard to spin off availability services business

04 October 2004  |  5349 views  |  0 SunGard

SunGard is to spin off its availability services business into a separate publicly traded company through a tax-free distribution of shares, which is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2005.

In a statement the vendor says the spin-off of the business, which provides disaster recovery services, will not result in any job losses.

SunGard Availability Services, which will retain the SunGard name, reported revenues of $1.2 billion and operating income of $340 million for the full-year 2003. The unit generated 40% of SunGard's full-year 2003 revenues, while the vendor's software and processing business generated the other 60%.

Cristobal Conde, SunGard's president and CEO, says the two businesses, which were brought together in the leveraged buy-out that created SunGard in 1983, have remained discrete, with separate sales forces, different types of customers and limited operating overlap.

"After the spin-off, each company will be better able to pursue growth strategies that are tailored to its business segments," says Conde.

James Simmons, currently group CEO of SunGard Availability Services, will become president and CEO of the spin off firm, while Michael Ruane, currently CFO of SunGard, will become CFO of the spun-off company. Andrew Bronstein, currently vice president and controller of SunGard, will succeed Ruane as CFO, SunGard.

James Mann, chairman of the board of directors of SunGard, will become chairman of the board of directors of the spun-off company, while remaining a director of SunGard for a transitional period.

Comments: (0)

Comment on this story (membership required)

Finextra news in your inbox

For Finextra's free daily newsletter, breaking news flashes and weekly jobs board: sign up now

Related stories

SunGard reports profit rise

SunGard reports profit rise

22 July 2004  |  4183 views  |  0 comments
SunGard establishes data management division

SunGard establishes data management division

09 June 2004  |  4207 views  |  0 comments
Nasdaq to buy Brut ECN from SunGard for $190 million cash

Nasdaq to buy Brut ECN from SunGard for $190 million cash

25 May 2004  |  13579 views  |  0 comments
SunGard launches message archiving service

SunGard launches message archiving service

12 May 2004  |  3101 views  |  0 comments
Lower margins take toll on SunGard ISS income

Lower margins take toll on SunGard ISS income

22 April 2004  |  4195 views  |  0 comments
SunGard recovery services kick in after power outage

SunGard recovery services kick in after power outage

18 August 2003  |  3925 views  |  0 comments
SunGard invests £5 million in City recovery centres

SunGard invests £5 million in City recovery centres

14 March 2003  |  4895 views  |  0 comments
SunGard to spend £15 million on European disaster recovery centre

SunGard to spend £15 million on European disaster recovery centre

03 March 2003  |  6176 views  |  0 comments
SunGard to spend $50 million on New York disaster centre

SunGard to spend $50 million on New York disaster centre

06 September 2002  |  3788 views  |  0 comments

Related company news

 

Related blogs

Create a blog about this story (membership required)
visit www.dorsum.euvisit www.worldpaymentsreport.comvisit www.vasco.com

Who is commenting?

A Finextra member Finextra Member Commented on: Real-time payments in...
A Finextra member Finextra Member Commented on: Barclays uses sensors...

Top topics

Most viewed Most shared
Mobile contactless spending accelerating in UKMobile contactless spending accelerating i...
11502 views comments | 26 tweets | 23 linkedin
Barclays pairs banking data with third party apps for SmartBusiness DashboardBarclays pairs banking data with third par...
9761 views comments | 22 tweets | 31 linkedin
hands typing furiouslyWhy Is Risk Analytics Important?
9582 views 0 | 5 tweets | 1 linkedin
Norwegian banks and startups form fintech clusterNorwegian banks and startups form fintech...
9327 views comments | 19 tweets | 23 linkedin
RBS to bring Silicon Valley to EdinburghRBS to bring Silicon Valley to Edinburgh
9237 views comments | 10 tweets | 8 linkedin