IBM today expanded its suite of digital-payments offerings, adding the ability to allow for remote capture and deposit of checks.
As part of the new extension, IBM will license software from Carreker Corporation.
IBM plans to incorporate Carreker's remote-capture technology into IBM's end-to-end payments solution - Payments Director - to allow bankers to accelerate the check clearing process by digitizing checks sooner. Bankers will be able to scan checks in their branches and offer business clients the ability to scan and deposit checks in their own offices, eliminating the need to travel to a bank branch.
John Carreker, President GPT of Carreker Corporation, said, "Together with IBM, we are simplifying the payment electronification path for our bank clients. As they embark on a broad array of payment technology improvements, the availability of a single solution that combines each company's strengths can ease their decision process, lower their integration costs and deliver value more quickly." He added, "We are excited about this agreement. It validates our considerable investment in our industry-leading remote capture solutions. We expect this partnership to be a key channel to market for us going forward."
For bankers, scanned checks can save millions of dollars by eliminating the need to transport paper checks to processing sites. It also allows them to extend their geographic footprint to locations currently without branches.
"The Check 21 Act allows banks to move the capture process from the back room to the customer," said Geoff Emerson, IBM's Director of Financial Solutions. "This can create new revenue streams for banks and offers the opportunity to consolidate check systems with other retail payments processing, which will lower overall costs."
IBM's new remote-capture solution features:
- Capture and deposit capabilities that can be integrated with a bank's existing teller system, to provide a consistent "look and feel"
- Improvements in customer service by reducing customer and teller deposit errors
- Together with Payments Director: Business Rules, offers least cost routing capability, ACH conversion, detection of invalid accounts and other selected fraud safeguards
For bank customers
- Reduction in employee time away from work and other costs of making deposits at the bank branch
- Reduction in errors in bank deposit creation and reconciliation
- Easy to use, browser-based solution that requires minimal software at the client site
The IBM Payments Director suite comprises software and services modules that allow financial institutions to design fully automated, straight-through-processing systems. It includes components for the entire process of digitizing checks, from capture to exchange to posting, including image exchange, image quality analysis, check-to-ACH-conversion and workflow management.