Hypercom Corporation (NYSE: HYC) today introduced two new multi-lane Optimum payment terminals, extending the speed and advanced capabilities of the 32-bit Optimum series to a broader range of retailers worldwide.
The new Optimum L4200 and higher-resolution Optimum L4250 with signature capture capabilities, offer lower-cost alternatives to the highly-regarded full-color Optimum L4100 released last year. The new models are also the first multi-lane payment products to provide an out-of-the-box, plug-and-play capability that meets PCI PED and Interac security requirements without add-on components, simplifying deployment and ensuring compliance with the industry's new security requirements.
The new Optimum L4200 is a low-cost, high-performance, multi-function payment terminal with a 160x80 pixel monochrome LCD graphical display that is particularly well-suited to multi-lane supermarkets, drugstores and similar high-traffic environments. It is the only device in its class with graphics capabilities, true 32-bit transaction speeds, PCI PED and Interac level security, and advanced options such as an integrated contactless and/or smart card reader. It is available immediately for shipment worldwide.
The new Optimum L4250 is a high-performance signature capture payment device suited for all multi-lane configurations. This terminal has a 220x80 pixel 16-greyscale-touch screen LCD capable of delivering crisp on-screen advertisements, scrolling line item display and other store messages at the point-of-sale, and the same 32-bit architecture and other advanced capabilities of the Optimum L4200. The L4250 will be ready for volume shipments in February.
Key features of both terminals include:
- Industry-leading transaction speeds for checkout, based on a 200Mhz 32-bit Intel XScale processor that delivers computing power of 250 MIPS (millions of instructions per second).
- A recessed 13-key ADA keypad with attached privacy shield that meets California Financial Code for Visually Disabled requirements and ensures consumer privacy during PIN entry.
- A bi-directional, dual-sided magnetic stripe reader, allowing cards to be swiped in any direction regardless of which way the magnetic stripe is facing in order to speed checkout.
- An optional integrated contactless ISO 14443-compliant RF payment reader that supports cards and key fobs from ExpressPay from American Express, MasterCard PayPass and Visa Contactless payment programs to enable fast no-swipe transactions.
- An optional integrated EMV 4.1 approved smart card reader, providing smart card functionality for global markets and WIC card acceptance in the US.
- Point-of-Interaction branding capabilities enabling merchants to display logos and other information on the terminal screen.
- Built-in RS-232, USB and Ethernet communications options enabling connectivity to any POS system, with an optional Host USB port for attaching USB peripherals such as barcode scanners, printers or biometric identification devices.
- DES and Triple DES DUKPT encryption support to protect cardholder PINs.
"These new terminals build on the success of our full-color Optimum L4100 product to bring economical, high speed 32-bit alternatives to multi-lane retailers around the world," said Neil Hudd, senior vice president, Global Product Development and Marketing, Hypercom Corporation.
Merchants that do not require 64,000-color capabilities can now have the same high performance and advanced technology of the L4100 at much lower cost, with the added advantage of PCI PED-level security."
"Hypercom is the first with a multi-lane solution that complies with the rigorous new security standards, with no additional privacy shielding, add-ons or external attachments," said Paul Martaus, president, Martaus & Associates. "The combination of that out-of-the-box, plug and play PCI PED capability with the 32-bit performance and other advanced features makes these new Optimum terminals exceptionally strong additions to the payment products now on the market."
In addition to the two new PCI certified Optimum terminals and the L4100 full-color multi-lane device, Hypercom's Optimum 32-bit series includes the T4100 countertop unit for single-lane retailers; and, for merchants outside of the US, the T2100 hand-over countertop unit with integrated EMV-compliant smart card reader, and M2100 handheld wireless terminal for mobile merchants.