When Dwolla launched nationally from a small coffee shop in Des Moines nearly six years ago, the vision was simple: to build the ideal way to move money. To help folks understand the value of our system, we shipped our own products, like Dwolla.com and the mobile app. These simple interfaces allowed folks to interact with the network, but were never intended to be Xero or Apple Pay.
Today, Dwolla is a platform. Our APIs and business tools make the bank transfer network easy to use, understand, and integrate into software applications. Instead of using our mobile application or Dwolla.com, our partners are building their own. And, with each launch, our partners provide a new world-class user experience to their users—we couldn’t be more excited.
Reducing the time to market for new software applications
Companies, like Wunder Capital and GOAT, are building amazing projects and tackling niche opportunities made possible by the Internet, while providing world-class experiences for their customers. Supporting them means focusing more on the platform.
Starting December 7, 2016, we will be modifying some of the capabilities and experiences available through our own applications—namely Dwolla.com, Dwolla Forms, Hub pages, and our native mobile apps.
What’s not being impacted?
- Dwolla API is unaffected: The capabilities to send, receive, request, and hold funds in Dwolla account balances remain fully functional and available to third-party applications via Dwolla’s API.
- B2B transactions are unaffected: Functionality and transaction capabilities between Businesses, Nonprofits, and Government accounts (i.e. B2B) are unaffected by these changes.
- Payouts to Personal accounts are unaffected: Personal accounts will continue to be able to fulfill ‘Payment Requests’ and receive money from businesses, nonprofits, and government accounts, as well as withdraw funds to connected bank accounts.
- Paid features are unaffected: Next Day, Increased Limits, and other value-added features are not affected by these changes.
What’s all changing on Dwolla’s web and mobile applications on December 7, 2016?
- Dwolla’s iOS, Android, and Windows mobile applications will no longer be available in the app stores.
- Certain account functionality and tools for Personal and Business account types on Dwolla.com and mobile.Dwolla.com will be removed or changed.
- The ability to create and pay via Dwolla’s Forms and Hub pages will no longer be supported.
Improved focus, faster product roll outs, and better support
Our relentless focus on Automated Clearing House (ACH) payments has helped Dwolla become the nation’s most robust and future-proof bank transfer platform.
With this experience, we feel confident that it’s time we lead with businesses and developers in mind. The added clarity, simplicity, and focus will help Dwolla continue to bring new products—like Same-Day ACH.