The London Stock Exchange Fintech Investor Forum today brings together the chief executives of many of the UK and Europe’s largest and fastest growing Fintech companies.
The event, formally opened by The Rt Hon Greg Hands MP, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, takes place in the same week as the UK Government’s ‘Fintech Week’, cementing the UK’s status as a leading global Fintech hub.
Key statistics highlight London’s leading global role:
- London IPO of Worldpay (£2.48bn / $3.81bn) was largest Fintech IPO ever globally by deal size and the largest Tech IPO of 2015 worldwide
- London listing for Sophos Group (£405m/ $637m) largest cybersecurity IPO ever by deal size
- In the last 2 years, Peer-to-Peer/Direct Lending Funds have raised £1.7bn in London including the Funding Circle SME Income Fund which raised £150m ($227m) in November
- Private companies presenting at the Fintech Investor Forum have collectively raised $651m of equity since the start of 2014
- Venture capital funding for UK Fintech companies increased 35% to $901m in 2015 (Innovate Finance - http://is.gd/ufX2vo)
- London recognised by Ernst & Young research as the leading hub globally for Fintech (http://is.gd/POz7Yy)
Nikhil Rathi, CEO, London Stock Exchange plc said:
“London is at the forefront of many of the world’s newest and high growth industries, producing the innovation that drives new, high quality job creation. The companies presenting today are testament that the right form of equity funding, private or public, allows businesses to grow rapidly. The support of Government and Tech City in creating an environment in which these companies can flourish has been of paramount importance and we will continue to actively support this burgeoning industry.”
Speaking at the event, the Rt Hon Greg Hands MP, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, said:
“The Government is extremely proud of UK’s role as a leading global Fintech hub and has a strong focus on supporting high growth companies in this innovative sector. UK Fintechs attracted £550 million in capital investment in 2015 and the Government is committed to building on this success and ensuring the UK provides the right environment to nurture businesses and boost technological innovation. London Stock Exchange plays a pivotal role in connecting companies with finance to support these innovative FinTech businesses grow, innovate and create jobs in the UK.”
Philippe Cerf, Managing Director, Credit Suisse said:
"Credit Suisse is delighted to be a sponsor and contributor to the LSE Fintech Investor Forum. As a global financial services firm with leading fintech advisory and equity distribution franchises, we see this innovative and fast-moving sector as increasingly important to both our corporate and investor clients. As the UK and European fintech universe matures, we look forward to continuing to partner with our clients and helping them on their respective paths within this exciting sector."
Indy Bhattacharyya, Head of UK IPO Origination at Peel Hunt said:
“The fintech space is a key sector which is highly relevant to the modern economy. There are a broad range of fast-moving companies within the space which are disrupting their own operating environments and revolutionising the broader business landscape. The UK is at the forefront of this wave and has been fertile ground for the evolution of the sector. As a specialist in UK financial markets, we see the pace of progress in our own business landscape but also recognise the relevance of these companies to the broad investor community.“