19 October 2017
Find out more

Italian ACH, SIA takes controlling stake in European telco

26 July 2013  |  4993 views  |  0 power leads

Italian payments processor SIA has acquired a controlling interest in telecomms firm Emmecon as part of a strategic plan to build a European infrastructure simplifying the link between merchants and banks at the point-of-sale.

SIA has acquired 51% of the share capital of Turin-based Emmecom, with the right to exercise the option for the purchase of the remaining 49% in 2016.

Massimo Arrighetti, CEO of SIA, says: "From today, banks and businesses have at their disposal a new family of innovative services which will soon be available at European level and will go to join Sepa payments, e-money and access to the principal stock markets, all with a single, ultra-fast connection."

He says the integrated platform will gather the traffic of card payments generated by POS terminals and deliver it to the authorisation systems of banks, terminal handlers and other acquirers.

Via a web portal (accessible also by tablet), it will also be possible to monitor the flow of transactions managed through the various connection channels, producing detailed statistics and reports on the operations of bank-deployed POS terminals at retail outlets.

Arrighetti says the pan-European infrastructure will permit banks and merchants with a strong international inclination to rationalise the various domestic networks for the collection of POS payments.

The acquisition will also give SIA a leg-up into the new field of machine-to-machine communications, which, according to analysts, could climb to a value of over €44 billion in 2020 from approximately €4.4 billion in 2011.

With the increased digitisation of payment flows, the acquisition of a telecomms outfit makes strategic sense for payments processors such as SIA. The Italian firm has already begun work on a central NFC hub for hosting interoperable bank and telecommunications applications in the emerging mobile payments market.

Comments: (0)

Comment on this story (membership required)

Finextra news in your inbox

For Finextra's free daily newsletter, breaking news flashes and weekly jobs board: sign up now

Related stories

SIA and Colt score Target2 and T2S network contract

SIA and Colt score Target2 and T2S network contract

05 July 2013  |  5662 views  |  0 comments | 2 tweets | 1 linkedin
SIA and Telecom Italia to develop mobile transit ticketing system

SIA and Telecom Italia to develop mobile transit ticketing system

17 May 2013  |  9555 views  |  0 comments | 4 tweets | 2 linkedin
Italian cancer researchers tap into bank computing power

Italian cancer researchers tap into bank computing power

09 May 2013  |  4199 views  |  0 comments | 2 tweets | 2 linkedin
Italy's SIA taps Gemalto for nationwide mobile NFC rollout

Italy's SIA taps Gemalto for nationwide mobile NFC rollout

05 March 2013  |  6142 views  |  0 comments | 7 tweets | 4 linkedin
SIA buys out Sinsys JV partner Atos Worldline

SIA buys out Sinsys JV partner Atos Worldline

07 September 2012  |  6944 views  |  0 comments

Related company news

 

Related blogs

Create a blog about this story (membership required)
visit www.fivedegrees.nlvisit www.capgemini.comvisit www.vasco.com

Top topics

Most viewed Most shared
Ripple looks to drive bank adoption with $300m XRP rebate programmeRipple looks to drive bank adoption with $...
15664 views comments | 12 tweets | 4 linkedin
Swift positive on blockchain, but big challenges remainSwift positive on blockchain, but big chal...
8827 views comments | 16 tweets | 22 linkedin
satelliteGates Foundation backs Ripple collaboratio...
7927 views comments | 13 tweets | 10 linkedin
IBM uses blockchain to improve cross-border payments processingIBM uses blockchain to improve cross-borde...
7061 views comments | 9 tweets | 17 linkedin
Santander InnoVentures leads $6m funding round for Mexico's ePesosSantander InnoVentures leads $6m funding r...
6190 views comments | 6 tweets | 3 linkedin

Featured job

Competitive
New York, NY - USA (some flexibility on location)

Find your next job