19 October 2017
visit www.avoka.com

Account takeover fraud plaguing US small businesses

04 April 2011  |  9550 views  |  0 arrow on screen

Over half of small and medium sized businesses in the US have been hit by payments fraud in the last year and banks are failing to proactively intervene to stop attacks, according to research from Guardian Analytics and Ponemon Institute.

The poll of 533 firms shows that 55% experienced fraud in the last 12 months, with 61% of these hit more than once, a similar picture to the previous year. In total, 75% of the businesses participating in the study experienced online account takeover and/or online fraud.

In addition, 78% of banks failed to catch fraud before funds were transferred out of their institution. Banks were able to keep money from leaving the bank in only 22% of cases and fully recover fraudulently transferred funds for 10% of businesses. In over two thirds of cases, banks were unable to recover funds, leading to losses for both them and the businesses.

With fraud rates so high, the research shows that SMBs are taking steps to protect themselves. A quarter have a dedicated computer for online banking, 49% use dual controls, 21% use positive pay and 55% of businesses practice daily reviews and approvals of outgoing transactions.

However, despite this, 70% think that their banks are ultimately responsible for securing their accounts. This is leading a high churn rate, with the pain of lost money and productivity driving 43% of businesses to move their banking activities after a fraud incident. About 10% of firms that experienced fraud terminated their banking relationship and 33% moved their primary cash management services.

Meanwhile, Guardian Analytics also highlights the emergence of another channel that could pose a security risk: mobile. Over a third of respondents say they access their company's banking accounts from mobile devices including smart phones and tablet PCs like the iPad, compared to only 23% in 2010.

Larry Ponemon, chairman, Ponemon Institute, says: "This year's data again affirms that businesses' trust in their banks is quickly damaged and they are not willing to give their banks a second chance. As online and mobile banking adoption continues to grow, the possibility for more fraud and more lost customers escalates. Endpoint security will be challenged to keep up with the growing number of devices and threats, and banks are in the best position to take the lead on proactively protecting all account holders from the wide variety of threats."

Comments: (0)

Comment on this story (membership required)

Finextra news in your inbox

For Finextra's free daily newsletter, breaking news flashes and weekly jobs board: sign up now

Related stories

US man jailed for $3m wire fraud

US man jailed for $3m wire fraud

25 March 2011  |  9813 views  |  1 comments
Global card fraud on the rise - ACI

Global card fraud on the rise - ACI

10 February 2011  |  15207 views  |  1 comments
Guardian Analytics raises $9 million as cybercrime rates soar

Guardian Analytics raises $9 million as cybercrime rates soar

24 May 2010  |  8075 views  |  3 comments
Banks failing to protect small businesses from cyber crime wave

Banks failing to protect small businesses from cyber crime wave

10 March 2010  |  10831 views  |  0 comments

Related blogs

Create a blog about this story (membership required)
visit www.capgemini.comRegister nowvisit www.fivedegrees.nl

Who is commenting?

Top topics

Most viewed Most shared
Ripple looks to drive bank adoption with $300m XRP rebate programmeRipple looks to drive bank adoption with $...
15825 views comments | 12 tweets | 4 linkedin
Swift positive on blockchain, but big challenges remainSwift positive on blockchain, but big chal...
8958 views comments | 16 tweets | 23 linkedin
satelliteGates Foundation backs Ripple collaboratio...
8056 views comments | 13 tweets | 10 linkedin
IBM uses blockchain to improve cross-border payments processingIBM uses blockchain to improve cross-borde...
7149 views comments | 9 tweets | 17 linkedin
Santander InnoVentures leads $6m funding round for Mexico's ePesosSantander InnoVentures leads $6m funding r...
6292 views comments | 6 tweets | 3 linkedin

Featured job

circa £250K total package
London

Find your next job