18 August 2017
Find out more

Nokia and G&D form mobile applications JV

27 June 2006  |  6753 views  |  0 D600 mobile

Nokia is teaming with German smart card manufacturer Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) to form a joint venture that will develop secure contactless mobile payment applications.

The joint venture will focus on developing applications for use with near field communication (NFC) technology, which enables secure, short-range communication between electronic devices, such as mobile phones, computers and payments terminals via a wireless connection.

Under the deal G&D will take a 57% stake in the new company, with Nokia holding the remaining 43% share.

Nokia says the JV will develop, implement and operate an 'over-the-air' platform to manage transactions made with NFC-enabled devices. The service platform will be operated on a white-label basis and will include interfaces to m-commerce providers.

The companies say the platform will allow firms - such as mobile operators, transport operators, retailers, banks and credit card companies - to offer their services and applications to consumers' that have NFC-enabled mobile phones.

Dieter May, vice president and head of Nokia's ventures organisation, says: "The new company will play an important role, as its services will be available to all stakeholders looking to introduce NFC enabled mobile services to their customers in an easy-to-use and secure way."

The new venture is expected to commence operations in the fourth quarter 2006.

Comments: (0)

Comment on this story (membership required)

Finextra news in your inbox

For Finextra's free daily newsletter, breaking news flashes and weekly jobs board: sign up now

Related stories

Giesecke & Devrient launches PayPass mini-cards and devices

Giesecke & Devrient launches PayPass mini-cards and devices

17 May 2006  |  6189 views  |  0 comments
Consumers like convenience of contactless m-payments, study shows

Consumers like convenience of contactless m-payments, study shows

06 April 2006  |  8122 views  |  0 comments
Nokia releases phone shell for contactless payments

Nokia releases phone shell for contactless payments

09 February 2005  |  7703 views  |  0 comments
Nokia and Visa enter secure mobile shopping alliance

Nokia and Visa enter secure mobile shopping alliance

23 September 2003  |  5360 views  |  0 comments
MasterCard PayPass contactless chip trialled in Nokia handsets

MasterCard PayPass contactless chip trialled in Nokia handsets

13 May 2003  |  11552 views  |  0 comments

Related company news

 

Related blogs

Create a blog about this story (membership required)
visit www.niceactimize.comvisit www.dorsum.euvisit www.abe-eba.eu

Top topics

Most viewed Most shared
Mobile contactless spending accelerating in UKMobile contactless spending accelerating i...
7591 views comments | 22 tweets | 23 linkedin
Norwegian banks and startups form fintech clusterNorwegian banks and startups form fintech...
7280 views comments | 19 tweets | 23 linkedin
hands typing furiouslyWhy Blockchain Might Not Be The Future For...
6012 views 1 | 5 tweets | 3 linkedin
RBS to bring Silicon Valley to EdinburghRBS to bring Silicon Valley to Edinburgh
5953 views comments | 10 tweets | 7 linkedin
Apple sidelined as Beijing transit system launches payments appApple sidelined as Beijing transit system...
5837 views comments | 11 tweets | 9 linkedin

Featured job

Competitive
London, UK (or flexible)

Find your next job