CommBank cuts rates on mobile-controlled credit card
11 October 2017 | 2105 views | 0
Commonwealth Bank today announced three new initiatives designed to give customers more control options and easy to manage solutions, including a new credit card with an interest rate below 10 per cent.
The three initiatives are:
1. A new credit card with a 9.90 per cent purchase interest rate
2. All customers with a credit card can receive real-time alerts for credit card repayments and high cost transactions, and all transaction account customers can receive overdrawn account alerts
3. All credit card customers will have access to an instalment feature designed to help them pay down existing balances or large purchases, in easy fixed instalments
Clive van Horen, Executive General Manager at Commonwealth Bank, said: “We’ve heard feedback from customers and consumer groups and understand there’s a need to offer a greater range of affordable and easy to manage products.”
Designed to give customers more visibility and control over their personal finances, the new credit card, real-time alerts, and instalment feature will launch in phases.
“We know there’s strong demand for a simple credit card option and we also recognise we need to help our customers avoid credit card late payment and overdrawn account fees. The real-time alerts in our CommBank App give customers even more tools to help manage their spending and avoid fees and charges,” said Mr van Horen.
New credit card
Available from early 2018, the new CommBank credit card will offer a highly competitive interest rate of 9.90 per cent, and a low account keeping fee of just $5 per month. The new credit card is suited to customers who want a low, competitive interest rate, low account keeping fee with a low maximum limit, and no access to cash advances.
Real-time alerts for credit card repayments, overdrawn accounts and high cost transactions
From November, customers will be able to take advantage of three new alerts:
• Customers with the CommBank App will receive real-time alerts, reminding them their credit card payment is due. If their payment becomes overdue, customers will receive an additional alert advising them if they make their payment by midnight the following day they will not incur a late payment fee.
• Customers whose transaction accounts have been overdrawn due to a scheduled payment or direct debit will receive a real-time alert and they too will not incur an overdrawn access fee if settled by midnight.
• Customers that make a high cost credit card transaction (such as an ATM cash advance or online gambling) will be alerted in real time that these transactions incur cash advance fees and interest.
From mid-2018, credit card customers can choose to pay down large purchases or a portion of their balance through fixed monthly instalments at a discounted rate, over a fixed period, allowing them greater control of their credit card repayments.
Empowering customers to manage their spending and avoid fees and charges
These latest product initiatives join the suite of online tools and features launched over the last three years to give customers more visibility over their credit card spending, including:
• Transaction Notifications: Eligible customers automatically receive an instant notification every time they pay with their credit card.
• Lock, Block, Limit: Gives customers real-time control over what types of transactions their card could be used for - such as ATM withdrawals and overseas spending. More than 1 million cards have enrolled for this feature since 2014.
• Spending cap and credit limit decreases: Customers can set a spending cap to manage their spending or reduce their credit limit online. Approximately 13,000 credit limit decreases are performed each month since launch.
• Spend Tracker: Each credit card transaction is categorised automatically in the CommBank App so customers can see where they are spending and compare expenditure across months.
• Earlier this year CommBank also launched Click to Close: a feature which allows customers to close their credit cards online through NetBank and the CommBank App.
“We continue to innovate for our customers’ benefit and we hope these latest steps will be welcomed,” added Mr van Horen.