Verifone (PAY) and Samsung today announced a global partnership that will deliver advanced, Android-based mobile point of sale (mPOS) solutions to multi-lane and enterprise retailers.
ANDROID-BASED mPOS BACKED BY TWO TRUSTED BRANDS
Interest in mPOS among larger retailers continues to grow, but adoption has been held back by limited options for achieving flexibility and seamless integration into back-end systems. To address this, Samsung—the global leader in Android-powered smart devices—and Verifone—the world leader in purpose-built payment technology–are partnering to provide advanced mPOS solutions–including hardware, software and services–backed by two trusted global brands.
The initial offering, which will be introduced later this year, will create a market-leading mPOS system featuring:
- Ruggedized Samsung Galaxy® Tab Active tablet with 8-inch screen for comfortable viewing
- Enhanced security with Verifone’s point-to-point encryption of payment data, coupled with Samsung’s Knox mobile device security (available with a separate licensing fee)
- Ease of use with multiple connectivity options, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and USB connectivity; transactions can be conducted using one hand at the counter, in the aisle, or in any environment
- Payment acceptance of all types, including EMV, NFC, beacons and traditional magnetic stripe
- Commerce enablement capabilities provided by Verifone’s Commerce Enablement platform, enabling retailers to deliver value-added services, targeted marketing and advertising content from anywhere inside or outside the store
“Samsung is focused on delivering solutions that enable retailers to succeed in an amplified economy and provide shoppers the kind of experience they have come to expect in today’s mobile world,” said Youngho Son, vice president of the Enterprise Business Team, Samsung Electronics. “Mobile point of sale is an important part of this, and by partnering with Verimportant part of this, and by partnering with Verifone, we will be able to provide leading retailers a secure, flexible and easy-to-integrate solution that leverages our enterprise-ready Galaxy tablets.”
“Verifone Mobile solutions feature integrated mPOS terminals that enable clients to use whichever consumer devices or operating systems they want and accept all payment types, including EMV, NFC, beacons and more,” said Mark Shockley, senior vice president of Mobile Solutions for Verifone. “Samsung brings Android leadership, ruggedized tablet expertise, and a leading variety of consumer devices, which are being used more and more alongside their enterprise offerings in the retail space. Leveraging the global presence and channels of Verifone and Samsung will be a big benefit to larger retailers around the world.”
SUPPORT FOR VERIFONE’S SECURE COMMERCE ARCHITECTURE
This new offering will also support Verifone’s Secure Commerce Architecture (SCA) solution, which eliminates the flow of consumer payment data into the merchant’s integrated point of sale (IPOS) system, and enables encrypted delivery of this data from the mPOS terminal directly to the merchant’s processor. SCA removes the IPOS from the scope of EMV certification, greatly reducing the burden for clients and eliminating the potential for this data to be stolen at scale.