MasterCard has announced today the launch of MasterPass™ in France and Russia expanding the MasterPass footprint to seven countries in Europe and 16 countries worldwide.
MasterPass is the only global digital platform to eliminate the need to enter detailed payment and shipping information with every purchase, simplifying and speeding up the process of completing a transaction from any connected device. With security front of mind for consumers this Christmas, MasterPass is the safest way to pay. MasterPass keeps cardholder payment information secure in one place; consumers shop confidently thanks the powerful multi-tiered security provided by the MasterCard network.
With momentum growing with its adoption, key recent highlights in Europe include;
- France: MasterCard will accelerate the deployment of MasterPass with the domestic digital solution Paylib, offering its users access to the global MasterPass acceptance in 2015. Furthermore, Lastminute and PriceMinister-Rakuten become the first online merchants to accept MasterPass in France. LastMinute already accepts MasterPass in the UK and Spain, and Rakuten in the United States.
- Italy: Findomestic, Intesa Sanpaolo and Monte dei Paschi di Siena will now complete the list of the five MasterPass issuers already active in the country.
- Russia: MasterPass is now available to “LIFE Koshelek” users as well as users of the MasterCard Mobile service. Four of Russia’s leading payment service providers – Payture, Yandex.Money, Wallet One and PayOnline – covering more than 30,000 online merchants, have also been integrated into the MasterPass platform.
- Spain: The acceptance footprint of MasterPass will dramatically increase by end of January 2015 with the addition of 9,000 online merchants thanks to partnerships with the Spanish domestic network EURO 6000 and Popular Payments, one of the leading acquirer specialists in the Spanish market.
- UK: An additional over 20,000 online retailers now accept MasterPass, supported by Worldpay.
To further accelerate the expansion of MasterPass in Europe, MasterCard has also granted Smartlink SA a reseller license to host and offer a white label version of the MasterPass wallet to its customers. Smartlink SA operates a Wallet Platform that allows European financial institutions and merchants
to build their individual personalized applications. Smartlink will introduce MasterPass to MasterCard issuers across Europe, with Switzerland and France being the first markets.
“More and more banks, PSPs and retailers across Europe are joining the MasterPass platform. The time is now to embrace the move to even safer ways to pay. As the only truly global digital platform, MasterPass brings the future of payments to shoppers today. Faster, simplified and secure payment experiences, increased customer loyalty and reduced basket abandonment are some of the key differentiators”, commented Javier Perez, President MasterCard Europe. “MasterPass turns any connected device, at any location, into a safe and ideal payment device for year-end shopping.”
Launched in February 2013, MasterPass is currently available in Australia, Canada, China, Czech Republic, France, Italy, New Zealand, Poland, Romania, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, UAE, the United Kingdom and the United States. When shopping at any one of the 60,000 online merchants around the world that offer the option to pay with MasterPass, shoppers simply click ‘Buy with MasterPass’ at the checkout.
“Our bank reaffirms its leadership in innovation payments. In line with our multichannel strategy, MasterPass is a simple, fast and secure solution for e-commerce confirming our attention to provide our customers with the most advanced digital payments solutions”said Massimo Tessitore, Head of Multichannel Integration at Intesa Sanpaolo.
“The launch of MasterPass is an important step in the innovation path undertaken by Findomestic in the recent years. MasterPass simplifies and secures the online shopping experience of our customers and it reinforces the trust relationship that we have with them”, said Gianluca Drudi, Cards Development Manager, Findomestic.