Sybase, an SAP company (NYSE: SAP) and industry leader in enterprise and mobile software, today announced the scheduled release of new and ground-breaking functionality connecting Sybase Replication Server to Sybase Aleri Streaming Platform.
This new functionality will provide the capability for data events from heterogeneous databases to be propagated in real-time, via CEP, addressing key challenges such as reference data management and risk aggregation. Firms can utilize the Sybase Aleri Streaming Platform, the market leading high performance complex event processing (CEP) platform, and the new capability will integrate with their enterprise database systems to turn transactions into business events which can be consolidated and analyzed in real-time. This further demonstrates Sybase's customer-driven commitment and innovation in the capital market industry for risk and trading applications.
"The major issue slowing down advances in risk management and trading systems is data access and data quality. This limitation also creates a huge need for FSIs to improve risk management by consolidating real-time data across multiple systems and link those systems to an application that can cleanse, cross-reference, and enrich data across asset classes and locations," said Stephen Bruel, Research Director, Capital Markets at TowerGroup. "A solution designed to eliminate the latency and performance issues commonly found when trying to continuously collect and analyze data stored in silos will help FSIs make smarter decisions in the highly competitive capital market industry."
In the financial markets, firms are already using Sybase Replication Server and Aleri CEP for real-time analysis of trade and risk exposure across various asset classes. In many cases, trade and position data is fragmented - stored in a variety of relational databases located in multiple geographies. By integrating Sybase Replication Server with the Aleri CEP engine, users can overcome this fragmentation and consolidate heterogeneous data in real-time. Of particular interest is that this is a non-intrusive approach, which will allow the Aleri engine to tap into existing systems without requiring changes to those systems.
"Sybase's leading financial solutions - used by each of the top 50 global banks and securities firms - include advanced data management and analytics that improve trading, risk management, compliance and market data management across the enterprise," said Neil McGovern, director of marketing, Sybase. "We are committed to providing a broad analytics portfolio to meet the needs of our customers and this new capability added to our already strong offerings in replication and CEP is another example of our successful execution on this vision."
Potential use cases for capital market firms utilizing Sybase's new adapter include:
· Compute aggregate risk - Capture trades from multiple databases in real time and correlate them in the CEP engine to evaluate risk and exposure by customer, region, and within time interval
· Dynamic portfolio tracking - When a user adds a new instrument or counter-party to an existing portfolio, the CEP engine, upon capturing this, will dynamically start keeping and updating the portfolio market value, using market data flowing into the engine
· Monitor trade execution - Capture trades from the database as they occur for real time monitoring P&L and receiving notification if a threshold is breached (e.g., trades above a certain dollar amount, or against certain symbols)
Potential use cases in other industries include:
· Threshold Monitoring - Continuously monitor product order flow and receive notification if a customer has placed order above a certain dollar amount thereby triggering further validation checks
· Inventory Tracking - Monitor average number of sales per hour continuously, and take action if there is risk to inventory level
· Call center tracking - Continuously track average time for issue resolution, providing the capability of identifying and preventing problems before they occur