Bats Exchange earned 11.39% of US matched market share in February, setting a new record high and reaffirming its position as the third largest cash equity market behind Nyse and Nasdaq.
BATS also recorded a new one-day record matched market share of 12.14% on February 25.
In rankings among top global equity markets, BATS again maintains a strong third place after NYSE and NASDAQ and ahead of exchanges based in Tokyo, Germany, and London in terms of notional value traded. BATS executed $612.2 billion in total matched transactions during the month of February -- $45.8 billion more than the NYSE floor processed over the same time frame.
"As we've said before, our strategy is focused on continued growth in matched market share and February proved to be another big step forward," said BATS Exchange Chairman and CEO Joe Ratterman. "We were even more pleased when looking at the value of shares traded on BATS to find that we pulled ahead of the NYSE's floor market for the month.
"We attribute the continued monthly growth to more market participants experiencing firsthand how BATS is Making Markets Better with aggressive pricing, access to a deep pool of liquidity, new order types and data feed enhancements, along with our hallmark - technology that is fast, efficient and reliable," he said.
BATS Exchange recorded average matched volume in all U.S. securities of 1.247 billion shares per day, compared to 686 million shares in February 2008. For the third straight month, the exchange set a new internal match record with a rate of 92.19%.
February vital market share statistics for BATS include:
• BATS average total handled volume of 1,389,208,094 shares daily
• BATS average matched volume of 1,246,687,014 shares daily
• BATS average internal match rate of 92.19% (new record)
• BATS matched market share for Tape A securities of 9.63% (2nd highest in firm history)
• BATS matched market share for Tape B securities of 15.74% (new record)
• BATS matched market share for Tape C securities of 11.70% (new record)
• BATS matched market share for all securities of 11.39% (new record)
• BATS matched market share in notional value, or dollar value traded, of 13.41% (new record)
• BATS total notional value traded of $612,232,701,953 (excludes odd lots)