19 July 2018
Visit www.gemalto.com

Human traders out of pocket as buy-side shifts budget to technology spend

13 February 2018  |  5392 views  |  0 One way sign

Institutional investors are shifting budgets away from human traders to spend more on technology, according to research conducted by Greenwich Associates.

Overall, buy-side trading desk budgets are expected to hold relatively flat in 2018 at $17.3 billion industry-wide. Back in 2015, 70% of that budget would have been paid to compensate traders, with the remaining 30% going to technology.

In 2018, that allocation is expected to shift to just 60% compensation and 40% technology, says Kevin McPartland, co-author of the Greenwich report.

“Although part of this year’s shift can be attributed to the effects of new MiFID II rules on research and pre-trade transparency, the more general increase in technology spending at the expense of trader compensation represents a secular trend,” he says.

The movement to technology spending has been most pronounced in fixed income. Initially, much of this increased spending went to gaining access to fixed-income e-trading venues. More recently, a bigger share of this spend is being used on data and the analytics to put that data to work.

Institutional investors see these investments as well worth the cost. “Until very recently, most asset managers viewed their trading desks as a cost center,” says Brad Tingley, Greenwich institutional analyst. “Today, they are seen as profit centres, due to their ability to create an advantage over competitors with better execution.”

The growing emphasis on data is evident across asset classes. Market data terminals and order management systems (OMS) account for approximately half of technology spending on institutional trading desks. However, this allocation to hardware is also showing a slight decrease, with much of the uptick in spending occupying data-intensive disciplines, such as transaction cost analytics (TCA) and risk management, portfolio construction, and counterparty risk calculations.
KeywordsBIG DATA

Comments: (0)

Comment on this story (membership required)

Finextra news in your inbox

For Finextra's free daily newsletter, breaking news flashes and weekly jobs board: sign up now

Related stories

2016 Wall Street blockchain investment to top $1bn

2016 Wall Street blockchain investment to top $1bn

24 June 2016  |  15082 views  |  0 comments | 28 tweets | 15 linkedin
Institutional investors tap into social media

Institutional investors tap into social media

17 April 2015  |  3803 views  |  0 comments | 4 tweets | 6 linkedin
Trading talent and tech driving up buy-side budgets - Greenwich Associates

Trading talent and tech driving up buy-side budgets - Greenwich Associates

12 January 2015  |  4389 views  |  0 comments | 6 tweets | 5 linkedin

Related blogs

Create a blog about this story (membership required)
Visit info.nice.comVisit https://secure.vasco.comVisit http://go.jumio.com/finextraAd

Top topics

Most viewed Most shared
Calmejane quits Lloyds Bank to join SocGenCalmejane quits Lloyds Bank to join SocGen
11817 views comments | 5 tweets | 7 linkedin
Metro Bank opens developer portalMetro Bank opens developer portal
10037 views comments | 5 tweets | 14 linkedin
Anything Visa can do...Mastercard takes time outAnything Visa can do...Mastercard takes ti...
9695 views comments | 6 tweets | 15 linkedin
Mastercard enlists Worldpay to push Vocalink's Pay by Bank appMastercard enlists Worldpay to push Vocali...
9241 views 19 comments | 14 tweets | 30 linkedin
Hong Kong plans September go-live for blockchain-based trade financeHong Kong plans September go-live for bloc...
9016 views comments | 9 tweets | 17 linkedin

Featured job

Competitive base, double ote, benefits
New York City, NY - USA

Find your next job