31 July 2016
Find out more

UK government to lend £40m through Funding Circle

21 February 2014  |  5213 views  |  1 20 pound note

Peer-to-peer lender Funding Circle has been handed another £40 million by the British government to distribute to businesses.

Last March, frustrated by high street banks' unwillingness to lend to small and medium sized businesses, the government gave £55 million in taxpayer funds to four P2P players: Funding Circle, Zopa, Boost and Credit Asset Management.

Funding Circle says that it has now distributed its £20 million slice, making loans to over 2000 businesses and helping to create 6500 jobs.

It is now getting another £40 million, this time through the government's new British Business Bank. Under the arrangement, the taxpayer money will be used to fund 10% of each borrower request, with the other 90% coming from private investors.

The British Business Bank money will be lent at the same rate as the private investors and the body says that its involvement in deals does not represent an endorsement, recommendation or any warranty, about the borrowers' creditworthiness.

Recent figures from the UK Peer to Peer Finance Association show that lending increased by 121% during 2013, with cumulative lending at the end of quarter four hitting £843 million compared to just £381 million at the end of 2012.

The industry is expected to receive a further boost in its efforts to crack the mainstream later this year when it comes under the watch of the Financial Conduct Authority. The government is also expected to soon allow the inclusion of P2P within Isas, giving lenders a tax-free return on their investments.

Crowdfunding is on the agenda at the Finextra Future Money event in April, in a panel which brings together some of the most innovative companies in the peer-to-peer transaction space and assesses the scale of the challenge facing the banking industry.

Comments: (1)

Ketharaman Swaminathan
Ketharaman Swaminathan - GTM360 Marketing Solutions - Pune | 25 February, 2014, 10:51

£20 million ~ 6500 jobs works out to < £3100 per job. Wonder what kind of jobs those are.

Be the first to give this comment the thumbs up 0 thumb ups! (Log in to thumb up)
Comment on this story (membership required)

Finextra news in your inbox

For Finextra's free daily newsletter, breaking news flashes and weekly jobs board: sign up now

Related stories

P2P lending shows big upswing in 2013

P2P lending shows big upswing in 2013

03 February 2014  |  5675 views  |  0 comments | 12 tweets | 8 linkedin
Wells Fargo bans staff from using P2P lending platforms

Wells Fargo bans staff from using P2P lending platforms

21 January 2014  |  7079 views  |  0 comments | 14 tweets | 9 linkedin
UK govt to allow P2P returns within Isas - Telegraph

UK govt to allow P2P returns within Isas - Telegraph

03 December 2013  |  3410 views  |  0 comments | 6 tweets | 1 linkedin
Funding Circle hires Barclays' Luke Jooste to lead move into property finance

Funding Circle hires Barclays' Luke Jooste to lead move into property finance

18 November 2013  |  4612 views  |  0 comments | 3 tweets
Funding Circle scores $37m investment for US launch

Funding Circle scores $37m investment for US launch

24 October 2013  |  4186 views  |  1 comments | 1 tweets | 1 linkedin
UK govt to lend &#163;55m through P2P sites

UK govt to lend £55m through P2P sites

12 December 2012  |  7025 views  |  1 comments | 9 tweets | 2 linkedin
Funding Circle raises &#163;10 million

Funding Circle raises £10 million

04 April 2012  |  5754 views  |  0 comments
UK P2P lenders form trade body

UK P2P lenders form trade body

18 August 2011  |  8296 views  |  0 comments

Related blogs

Create a blog about this story (membership required)
Visit capgemini.comVisit VocaLink.comVisit www.abe-eba.eu

Top topics

Most viewed Most shared
Groupe BPCE agrees to buy FidorGroupe BPCE agrees to buy Fidor
8838 views comments | 38 tweets | 56 linkedin
Telefonica Germany launches Fidor-backed mobile banking serviceTelefonica Germany launches Fidor-backed m...
7257 views comments | 16 tweets | 22 linkedin
hands typing furiouslyManaging Big Data After Brexit
6950 views 0 | 6 tweets | 8 linkedin
hands typing furiouslyWhat is FinTech and where does it Live?
6156 views 0 | 14 tweets | 4 linkedin

Featured job


Brussels (Belgium) or Paris (France)

Find your next job