An IBM study forecasting key trends and innovations that will define the global banking industry in 2015
The research identifies five key trends that will determine the future of banking:
» Download the document now 376.4 kb (Adobe Acrobat Document)
- Customers take control. Customers will be smart, informed and savvy users of financial services. They will only be interested in service providers that can meet their very specific individual needs.
- Specialised niche competitors. Market consolidation will continue, making the mega banks even bigger. But they will face swarms of nimble competitors including community banks, industry specialists and non-bank banks that specialise in providing specific services. Partner-competitor relationships will arise.
- A new workforce. The need for productivity and efficiency will create new sources of labour and work practices. But there will also be intense competition to attract and retain talent.
- Regulated transparency. The need to comply with globally enforced standards of transparency and accountability will force the adoption by banks of integrated, enterprise-wide systems and processes.
- Sharply focused technology. The enabler of all this change will be technology that supports rapid, accurate decision making and greater operational flexibility and efficiency. The successful specialists will be those who can track and analyse specific customer needs and speedily meet them with profitable, reliable products.