Fiserv (FISV), a leading global provider of financial services technology solutions, today reported financial results for the second quarter of 2012.
GAAP revenue in the second quarter was $1.10 billion compared with $1.07 billion in the second quarter of 2011. Adjusted revenue was $1.03 billion in the second quarter compared with $1.00 billion in 2011, an increase of 3 percent. For the first six months of 2012, GAAP revenue was $2.21 billion compared with $2.11 billion in 2011, and adjusted revenue was $2.06 billion compared with $1.99 billion in 2011, an increase of 4 percent.
GAAP earnings per share from continuing operations for the second quarter was $1.18 compared with $0.67 in 2011, which included a loss from early debt extinguishment of $0.26 per share. GAAP earnings per share from continuing operations for the first six months of 2012 was $2.13 compared with $1.45 in 2011, which included a loss from early debt extinguishment of $0.26 per share.
Adjusted earnings per share from continuing operations in the second quarter increased 13 percent to $1.28 compared with $1.13 in 2011. Adjusted earnings per share from continuing operations for the first six months of 2012 was up 15 percent to $2.48 compared with $2.15 in 2011.
"We achieved strong earnings and sales performance in the quarter consistent with our full year expectations," said Jeffery Yabuki, President and Chief Executive Officer of Fiserv. "The continuing strength in the sales of our leading channel, payment and account processing solutions is providing strong forward momentum."
Second Quarter 2012
Adjusted revenue grew 3 percent in the quarter to $1.03 billion and increased 4 percent year-to-date to $2.06 billion.
Adjusted internal revenue growth in the quarter was 1 percent for the total company and in each of the Payments and Financial segments. Adjusted internal revenue growth for the first six months of 2012 was 2 percent, including 2 percent in the Payments segment and 3 percent in the Financial segment.
Adjusted operating margin was 29.3 percent in the quarter, unchanged from the second quarter of 2011, and increased 20 basis points in the first six months of 2012 to 29.0 percent compared with the prior year period.
Adjusted earnings per share increased 13 percent in the quarter to $1.28 and increased 15 percent in the first six months of 2012 to $2.48.
Free cash flow for the first six months of 2012 was $298 million compared with $335 million in the prior year period.
The company repurchased 2.1 million shares of common stock in the second quarter for $143 million, and 5.8 million shares in the first six months of 2012 for $388 million. As of June 30, 2012, the company had approximately 9 million shares remaining under its existing share repurchase authorization.
The company signed 109 electronic bill payment clients, 34 debit clients and 136 person-to-person (P2P) clients in the quarter.
The company signed 129 clients for Mobiliti™ from Fiserv in the quarter. Through June 30, 2012, the company has signed more than 1,100 financial institutions to its mobile banking solutions.
The company successfully integrated its P2P payment offerings into the Popmoney® network reaching more than 1,600 financial institutions and approximately 40 million consumers through existing online and mobile banking relationships with a single solution. The combined network offers an enhanced user experience, broad functionality, powerful risk management, multiple payment options and an advanced product roadmap.
On July 9, 2012, Dennis Lynch was appointed to the Board of Directors of Fiserv. Currently the Chairman of the Board of Cardtronics, Inc., Mr. Lynch brings over 30 years of experience in the payments and financial services industries.
A number of new and expanded client relationships occurred in the quarter including:
- 1st Mariner Bank, headquartered in Baltimore, Md. with $1.2 billion in assets, selected the Premier® account processing platform along with Mobiliti, CheckFree® RXP®, AllData® PFM for account aggregation, Prologue™ for financial performance management, the ACCEL/Exchange® PIN-debit network, Debit Processing, ACH Processing Services and Prepaid Processing Services. The bank also renewed its use of the Fiserv® Clearing Network and Branch Source Capture™ for item processing and InformEnt® for information management.
- Alliance Data, a leading provider of loyalty and marketing solutions derived from transaction-rich data with revenues of more than $3 billion, will implement eBill Distribution from Fiserv. With the addition of eBill Distribution, Alliance Data will provide consumers across more than 100 retail credit card programs with the capability to view and pay bills electronically at their financial institution.
- KeyCorp, headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio with $86.5 billion in assets as of June 30, 2012, selected the ACCEL/Exchange PIN-debit network from Fiserv. The bank also leverages Mobiliti, Banklink® Cash Management, PEP+® for ACH processing and ARP/SMS™ for treasury management from Fiserv.
- Mansfield Bank, headquartered in Mansfield, Mass. with $372 million in assets, selected Fiserv for a full-service banking solution based on the Cleartouch® account processing platform. The bank will also implement CheckFree RXP, CheckFree Small Business, the ACCEL/Exchange PIN-debit network, Debit Processing, ATM Device Driving and Monitoring, Card Production Services, EasyLender® for loan origination, AccountCreateSM for online account opening, Mobiliti, AML Manager for risk management, Retail Online™ and Banklink Cash Management for retail and business online banking, iVue® for business intelligence, Prologue and Vantage™ for general ledger and budgeting systems, and item processing solutions.
- NetSpend Corporation, a leading provider of general-purpose reloadable (GPR) prepaid debit cards and related financial services to approximately 60 million consumers in the United States, selected Popmoney for Prepaid and AllData Aggregation from Fiserv to enable consumers to manage their prepaid cards online. NetSpend customers will be able to reload prepaid cards from an existing bank account, request money from another person and view multiple accounts. This complements the company's existing relationship with Fiserv for personalization and fulfillment of GPR cards.
- State Bank and Trust, headquartered in Fargo, N.D. with assets over $2 billion, selected Mobiliti from Fiserv to enable a broad range of mobile banking and payment capabilities, including real-time alerting, as well as tablet banking via a dedicated iPad® application. The bank also plans to implement Popmoney and Mobile Source Capture™. This adds to the bank's portfolio of Fiserv solutions, which includes the Signature® account processing platform, Corillian Online® and Corillian® Business Online for online banking, CheckFree RXP, EnAct™ for sales automation and management, and a full suite of card service solutions.
- Synovus, a financial services company with $27 billion in assets based in Columbus, Ga., will expand its channels and payments relationship with Fiserv by joining the Popmoney person-to-person payments network. The company also uses Corillian Online, Mobiliti, CheckFree RXP and CheckFree Small Business.
- TD Bank, one of the 10 largest banks in the U.S., selected CheckFree RXP from Fiserv to enable electronic billing and payment for its consumer and small business customers. The bank will also implement FraudNet™ from Fiserv to mitigate the risk of fraudulent bill payment transactions. CheckFree RXP will be fully integrated with the bank's existing banking solution. TD Bank currently uses multiple Fiserv solutions in addition to online banking, including ACH processing, loan servicing, credit processing and cash forecasting.
- Trustone Financial Federal Credit Union, headquartered in Plymouth, Minn. with $739 million in assets, implemented the Acumen® account processing platform from Fiserv. The new, fully integrated banking solution includes a suite of channel and payment solutions reaching its more than 60,000 members, including Corillian Online, Mobiliti, Popmoney and CheckFree RXP. The credit union will also leverage online account opening, online loan origination, audio response, risk management, accounting, check capture, member relationship management, multi-channel marketing, ATM management, check processing and wire transfer processing solutions from Fiserv.
Outlook for 2012
Fiserv continues to expect 2012 adjusted revenue growth to be in a range of 4 to 6 percent and adjusted internal revenue growth to be in a range of 3.0 to 4.5 percent. The company now expects 2012 adjusted earnings per share to be in a range of $5.08 to $5.20, which represents growth of 11 to 14 percent over $4.58 in 2011.
"Our first half results were in line with expectations, and we remain on track to achieve our full-year revenue and earnings guidance," said Yabuki.
Read the full statement here:» Download the document now 180.5 kb (PDF File)