It was 1995 when I started to work with online banking.We created services like mobile banking in year 1997 for WAP based mobile banking with Post It Notes because there were no WAP phone in hand. Now I am thinking how we do banking in 2020. Share your visions,
here is mine.
- In 2020 there will be traditional lending banks and more advanced payment/ transactions banks.
Why: Look where Google, Facebook and other non traditional bank kind of companies are heading.
- In 2020 there are more centralized money services with one master account merged with retail customers several bank accounts. Customers manage their financial situations with one master account.
Why: Mint, Balancion and other similar companies are already leading this way. Next step is to have transactions inside their system. Large companies have already multibanking systems, so why not retail customers would enjoy same systems.
- In 2020 payments are done with devices, not cards or cash. Mobile phones, iPads and other devices like car key rings have online connections and card/ bank account info installed to these devices making payments more digital. It could be anything you prefer
to carry with you all a time.
Why: All devices have online connection verifying payments better which helps governments to monitor payments better and automate VAT and other payments automatically.
- In 2020 peer to peer payments are done with devices
Why: This helps to make currency exchanges easier and to customer money is money, not different currencies
- In 2020 cash is still available, but using cash is expensive and seen as criminal.
Why: if this current economic chaos is solved, there has to be easier way to monitor payments and control risks. Cash is seen as one of the biggest credit risk providers because it can not be monitored same way as electronic payments.
© Finextra Research 2014